Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $40.87 Hourly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
As a Distribution Technician with FortisBC, you play a critical role in ensuring the safe and efficient installation, operation, and maintenance of gas system assets. Your commitment to safety, experience in underground utilities and pipefitting, and ability to work as part of a team are essential qualities for success in this position.
In this role, you will:
- Complete internal training based on previous skills and experience, so you can safely install gas systems, along with operating and maintaining FortisBC distribution assets.
- Complete field coaching, skills building and evaluation.
- Start performing Distribution Technician tasks on your own and on a crew.
- Respond to emergencies while ensuring safety of the public, cooperating with first responders, internal departments, and other authorities.
- Foster good relations between the company and our customers, and with other team members.
What it takes:
- Relevant Experience: A minimum of two years’ relevant pipe fitting and/or underground utility field experience. This experience is crucial for understanding the practical aspects of the job.
- Education and Licenses: High school graduation, along with a Class 5 driver's license and a clean driving abstract. This ensures that you can safely operate vehicles and equipment while performing your duties
- A willingness and ability to learn: Demonstrated ability to apply knowledge of Gas Installation Systems, included comprehensive understanding of theory and operation of material and equipment related to gas operations.
- Customer relations skills: Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with customers, resolve, and deescalate conflict with internal and external customers in a courteous and professional manner.
- Emergency response skills: Demonstrated ability to remain calm and make effective, immediate decisions during emergency situations. This includes ensuring the safety of the public, contractors, and other employees
- Standby/On-call requirements: This role has standby/on-call requirements based on operational needs.
- Residency requirements: The successful candidate must adhere to the residency requirements of this position.
- Overtime requirements: This role has overtime requirements based on operational needs.
- Travel/Out of town requirements: This role has travel/out of town requirements based on operational needs.
- This position has a requirement to be clean-shaven as per WCB standards.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.