Welding Engineer, Technical Support
Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary Min: $93,300.00
Salary Max: $115,800.00
Short-term Incentive Eligible: Yes
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
You’re keen to expand your welding and materials expertise by implementing cutting-edge technologies and enhancing business practices to top-class industry standards. You’re incredibly thorough and can excel when working independently to complete complex tasks and collaboratively to innovate and achieve the best results with multiple partners. We need someone like you to take on our Engineering Services, Technical Support position.
In this role, you’ll provide materials and welding engineering support to our Engineering and Operations departments and participate in the development of emerging technologies, including but not limited to hydrogen-related initiatives.
In this role, you will:
- Develop an understanding of the job roles and responsibilities, learning about the clients you’ll support and current practices, procedures, and standards.
- Take on smaller projects under the guidance and direction of the welding engineer.
- Participate in field visits with welding engineers and other team members to understand the application of relevant standard drawings and standard documents, policies, and procedures.
- Become an independent subject matter expert (SME) for welding and materials, fielding inquiries from the Engineering and Operations departments.
- Identify opportunities and recommend improvements to our standards and procedures based on best industry practices.
What it takes:
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering, preferably in material or welding, from a recognized program, four to seven years of related experience, and eligibility for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills to excel when supporting other team members and departments.
- Exceptional organization skills with a drive to take initiative in incorporating new industry practices and adding or creating new documentation and procedures for any voids in current practices.
- Great analytical skills with a willingness to learn and grow in a highly technical position that requires the ability to digest and assess received information.
- Effective communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.