Technologist 4 - Electrical Distribution Design
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
- Performs a wide range of technical functions relating to the research, location, development, design and/or installation of overhead and underground electric distribution systems including:
- being accountable for the technical aspects of projects to include: project management, power line design, distribution equipment specification, metering, protective coordination, voltage and loading concerns, meeting all legislated acts, codes, standards and procedures
- studying and interpreting project requirements from a variety of available information and establishing project parameters, consulting with organizational groups within FortisBC and with external groups involved in the project, establishing criteria for system/technical improvements,
- selecting safe and economic line routes, satisfying numerous and varied construction and design criteria as well as customer needs, while taking into account present and future load requirements
- designing major modifications including investigating alternate designs/operating principles with consulting engineers, manufacturers, etc., evaluating technical alternatives,
- preparing or evaluating new designs or standards or adapting existing standards as necessary,
- preparing reports and making recommendations regarding the proposed system based on the technical and economic feasibility of proposed alternatives,
- preparing detailed engineering drawings, specifications, Bills of Material and cost estimates, reviewing tenders and drawings received for accuracy and conformity, selecting, expediting and controlling equipment and materials,
- performing a variety of complex technical calculations for related design proposals,
- Maintains liaison with internal and external groups such as other FortisBC departments, field staff, consultants, manufacturers, contractors and government agencies concerning technical work on assigned projects, visits field sites to resolve technical problems, evaluate equipment and gather data, coordinates field inspections by other regulatory groups.
- Performs a variety of duties related to above projects including preparing schedules and progress reports, monitoring progress, issuing drawings, preparing estimates, initiating correspondence, maintaining project records and files and assembling a variety of drawings, material lists, maps, survey data, photographs, environmental data and related information.
- Prepares CAD based drawings for construction package with reference to GIS information.
- Provides oversight of project deliverables for less experienced Design staff. Provides technical advice and guidance on aspects of assigned work to other design staff, clerks, technicians and tradesmen. Reviews work methods and procedures and recommends improvements.
- Participates on committees, special projects and business process teams
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties, which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of recognized post secondary technologist diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Advanced computer literacy including familiarity with applications software in use in the department.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communications and presentation skills.
- Eight (8) years directly related relevant experience.
- Valid British Columbia Driver's license.
What you need to know:
- Prior to the interview, Talent Acquisition will conduct a full employee general record review. This will include, but is not limited to: sick leave and attendance records, personnel file review and letters on file.
- This role is covered under the FortisBC/MoveUP Collective Agreement.
- If you are a MoveUP employee covered by LOU 42 and are the successful candidate, you may remain in LOU 42.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.