Fitter Welder 2
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $45.37 Hourly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled.
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
A Fitter/Welder 2 shall perform all operations in the shop necessary to fabricate (using manual arc, gas metal arc or oxy-fuel welding) the pressure piping and vessel systems used on the gas transmission and distribution networks, insofar as his certificates of competency permit. This will include interpretation of engineering drawings, spool sheets, etc., laying out of the job, fit up and welding preparation of all components and the pressure testing of completed assemblies and sub-assemblies to determine weld and joint integrity. It will also include fabrication of non-pressure components and the installations of pressure controlling devices, their associated instrumentation and control lines in prefabricated regulator vaults or similar assemblies.
In the field, they shall weld on the transmission and distribution systems within the scope of their certificate of competency including hot taps, fire welds and leak repair welds.
In conformance with Company welder qualification tests and CSA Standard Z662 for Gas Transmission and Distribution Systems, a Fitter/Welder 2 shall be required to qualify and re-qualify when necessary, as prescribed by the Code for Welders welding on piping to operate at hoop stresses of less than 20% of the specified minimum yield strength.
Upon satisfactory completion of 12 months' service in this position, the Fitter/Welder 2 will be reclassified to Fitter/Welder 1.
- Journeyperson Welder Certificate of Qualification from the Industry Training Authority of BC (or equivalent from a recognized provincial training authority). Minimum Level ‘B’.
- 5 years’ experience welding pressure piping systems or pipeline welding
- Must possess valid Class 5 BC Driving License
- Safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis; must have a safe driving record and be able to pass Company driving tests.
- Experience in pipefitting and general fabrication
- Must possess or test and qualify in these tests to CSA Standard Z662 and the Company welding procedures: OAW-1, OAW-2, OAW-3, and in addition shall display above-average aptitude and proficiency in oxyacetylene welding.
- Ability to perform all operations in the shop necessary to fabricate (using gas metal arc, manual arc or oxy-fuel welding) the pressure piping and vessel systems used on gas transmission and distribution networks.Ability to interpret engineering drawings, spool sheets, etc., laying out of the job, fit up and welding preparation of all components and the pressure testing of completed assemblies and sub-assemblies to determine weld and joint integrity.
- Ability to fabricate non-pressure components and the installation of pressure controlling devices, their associated instrumentation and control lines in prefabricated regulator vaults or similar assemblies.
- Field pipeline welding including hot tap welds, fire welds and leak repair welds on lines operating up to and including transmission line pressures.
- Shall display, in evaluation tests, sufficient learning ability, good manual dexterity and good mechanical aptitude.
- Be physically agile and shall have good eyesight; shall not be subject or prone to respiratory problems or illnesses or allergic to the materials and conditions encountered in the practice of welding. A medical examination by FortisBC Health Services or its delegate may be required.
- Strong mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to work alone and maintain a high level and quality of performance.
- Initiative and sense of responsibility.
- CWB Structural Welding Tickets for SMAW & GMAW Considered an asset
- Position is physically demanding, requiring considerable bending and lifting.
- Exposed to inclement weather.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.