Community & Indigenous Initiatives Liaison
Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Workplace Flexibility: Yes
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
You’re passionate about fostering inclusive business practices and leveraging your extensive experience in community relations. You also take pride working with Indigenous Peoples to build sustainable, mutually beneficial corporate strategies. This role provides support in the effective planning, coordination of capital and sustainment projects for stakeholder and Indigenous rights holder engagement. You will contribute to the strategic development and deployment of FortisBC’s Community Investment Program and internal and external events in alignment with the Company’s business goals. You continually strive to enhance programs by honing in on standardized metrics, best practices and ongoing collaboration. Your unique skillset and experiences will help you shine as our Community and Indigenous Initiatives Liaison.
In this role, you will develop and work with Corporate Communications to maximize positive public relations and working relationships with Indigenous & municipal communities in a way that communicates the benefit of the Company and its programs to customers. You’ll focus on executing strategic initiatives to further the Company’s commitment to its Statement of Indigenous Principles and being B.C.’s energy partner of choice.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to the strategic development and deployment of FortisBC’s Community Investment Program.
- Coordinate event and conferences that support strategic business development efforts.
- Provide support in the effective planning, coordination of capital and sustainment projects for stakeholder engagement.
- Support Indigenous awareness training and internal events that promote awareness and appreciation of indigenous cultures, histories and priorities.
- Liaise with internal business units to achieve successful implementation of engagement and consultation requirements of the Oil & Gas Commission, municipal and community stakeholders and Indigenous rights holders.
- Work with Corporate Communication to maximize positive public relations and working relationships with Indigenous & municipal communities.
- Arrange Executive involvement at Indigenous & Community projects.
- Ensure reliable tracking and reporting of corporate initiatives for benchmarking and reporting in alignment with best practices.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community or cultural organizations, and municipalities that may impact the Company or its customers.
What it takes:
- Post-secondary degree with specialization in marketing, business, communications or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years of community investment, stakeholder relations, Indigenous engagement or marketing experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to deal with and work well with others.
- Well developed communication skills; solid writing, interpersonal, diplomacy & presentation skills.
- Knowledge of British Columbia utility regulatory environment along with energy industry experience in both the gas and electric side of the business is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with Indigenous Peoples (First Nations, Metis or Inuit) including histories, cultures and legal rights is highly desirable.
- Experience with data tracking and reporting, and using tools such as Excel, BI Dashboard, SuccessFactors.
- Strong initiative, organizational/presentation/project management skills and creative abilities.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
In this role, you will have the option to participate in a flexible work program, enabling you to work from an approved flex location in British Columbia up to 85 days a year (equivalent to approximately two days a week), subject to business or operational needs.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.