Energy Systems Operations Lead
Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Workplace Flexibility: Yes
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
You’re a confident leader who can tap into years of experience in operations management and the utilities industry to manage the safe and reliable delivery of energy services to customers. You thrive in the face of complex, high-stakes problems and believe that the best solutions are born through collaboration. With your approach of building strong, trusting relationships and leading by example, you’d make a great fit as our Energy Systems Operations Lead.
In this role, you’ll lead FortisBC Alternative Energy Services Inc. operations activities and ensure the delivery of critical thermal energy services to our customers.
In year 1, you will:
- Manage existing contractor agreements and develop relationships with new contractors and subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Regularly attend sites to manage system performance and in the case of emergency responses.
- Coordinate and work closely with the project delivery team and follow up on the status of rectification of construction deficiencies.
In year 2, you will:
- Manage and lead a network of contractors and SMEs that are responsible for providing preventative maintenance and emergency response activities on complex conventional and low-carbon energy systems.
- Lead activities to ensure compliance with industry codes, regulations, standards and best practices.
- Assess operational and equipment risks and make recommendations to mitigate risk through maintenance planning, contingency planning, and operational/project controls.
What it takes:
- A diploma or degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in a related field, such as engineering, construction management, facilities management, operations management, clean energy, and others, plus a minimum of seven years of related professional experience in the energy industry, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of Direct Digital Control (DDC) systems is critical to success in the role.
- A Project Management Professional certificate, registration or eligibility to register as an Applied Science Technologist or Certified Technician with ASTTBC is considered an asset.
- A demonstrated understanding of various energy systems, conventional and alternative systems, including heating, cooling, and ventilation (HVAC-R, pumps, fans, motors, and boilers).
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills to follow maintenance schedules, address risks, and respond to emergencies or changes in scheduling appropriately.
- Exceptional decision-making and strategic thinking skills to manage complex energy systems while providing quality service to major customers.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills to strengthen connections in the workplace to foster an inclusive environment through collaboration.
In this role, you will have the option to participate in a flexible work program, enabling you to work from an approved flex location in British Columbia up to 85 days a year (equivalent to approximately two days a week), subject to business or operational needs.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.