Operations Financial Analyst
Employment Status: Full-Time Temporary
Salary: $33.75 Hourly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
- Performs all general cost accounting and budgeting activities for an assigned operational group, including handling and scheduling a variety of financial activities within strict guidelines and in accordance with applicable policies and procedures as established by Business Leader - Finance, Accounting Manager and/or Corporate Finance. Accesses privileged and confidential information as required to perform assigned duties.
- Coordinates and develops operational unit budgets, in association with Business Leaders and Managers, including:
- assembling and analyzing historical cost and activity data necessary to prepare budget projections for discussion and approval;
- making adjustments for reasonableness, supported with justification as required, based on historical, current and projected financial operating environment;
- coordinating and preparing justifications for a variety of budget items such as operating and maintenance items, medium and long range capital expenditure forecasts and future business programs.
- Prepares regular performance and variance reviews, in associations with Business Leaders and Managers, including participating in the analysis of activities, unit costs and program expenditures to explain variances and recommend remedial action; and to coordinate the preparation of year end forecasts.
- Maintains a current knowledge of applicable accounting and financial systems, policies, coding and procedures. Advises the operational group regarding application of accounting and financial procedures to aid in the understanding and effective use of financial reports and other activity related information.
- Participates in the development of recommendations to enhance or establish financial policies and procedures, reporting forms and formats and related issues.
- Prepares, sets up and reviews work orders and other job costing system entries, journal vouchers and relevant financial reports for accuracy, justifiability and completeness as necessary
- Conducts research and special analyses related to operational unit activities, unit costs and programs, including:
- preparing ad-hoc reports for rate applications, regulatory studies and other special studies as required;
- maintaining statistical databases and financial spreadsheets, summarizing information in appropriate presentation format.
- preparing and presenting written, graphical and oral reports and presentations to facilitate the preparation and understanding of budgets, variance reviews, costing analyses and other special projects, including recommending courses of action as appropriate.
- Participates in the development of financial and other management information systems including:
- providing user input regarding system, information and reporting requirements;
- testing modifications and/or enhancements;
- conducting training sessions for the operational group as required.
- Performs a variety of related duties such as local purchasing, fleet and facilities management and similar support duties as appropriate to assigned operational areas.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of Diploma in Accounting, Finance or a related field from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Three (3) years directly related relevant experience.
- Strong organizational, oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in teams.
- Strong knowledge of statistical analysis, cost benefit analysis and related analytical techniques.
- Strong knowledge of computer systems operations, environment and peripherals and various applications software in use in the department (SAP, SharePoint, BW Reports, BI and suite of MS Office products).
- Valid British Columbia drivers license.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.