Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $30.02 Hourly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: August 18, 2023
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
Our success relies on having highly skilled field operators, so we have developed a training program that's one of the best in the industry. The Distribution Assistant will learn to use the tools and procedures required for the construction, maintenance and operation of the Gas Distribution system. You will assist in the installation of distribution pipes, fittings and related components and in carrying out repairs and alterations to existing mains and services.
You will learn welding and pipefitting skills, and will also be trained in safety, customer service and software applications. You will receive hands-on experience and coaching through classroom and on-the-job training to prepare you for advancement.
- High school/Grade 12 graduation/GED (education will be verified)
- Valid BC driver’s license with safe driving record – minimum Class 5 required. Class 1 or 3 with air endorsement preferred
- Underground utilities experience (gas, water, sewer) is an asset
- Mechanical aptitude
- Demonstrated safe work habits and adherence to safety regulations and practices on a sustained basis
- Sense of responsibility
- Ability to become proficient in the use of power operated and hand tools, equipment and instruments
- Ability to learn simple pipefitting, small meter setting and residential appliance relight setting 1
- General good health, adequate physical strength and agility
- Ability to meet the public as a representative of FortisBC
- Ability to absorb, follow and retain instructions relating to function
- Ability to acquire a thorough knowledge of theory and operation of material and equipment relating to Gas Operations
- Ability to use and complete time slips, trucking slips, simple work and similar forms
- Considerable walking, bending and lifting
- Exposure to all weather conditions
- Experience operating rubber tire backhoe and/or excavating equipment in shallow construction is considered an asset
- Current Gasfitter qualifications (B ticket or higher) are considered an asset
- Welding experience/credentials are considered an asset
- Out of town training and work may be required
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.