Planning & Design Technologist 2
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Salary: $3,010.00 bi-weekly
Workplace Flexibility: No
Posting End Date: Open until filled
We’re a Canadian-owned and BC-based energy company taking steps toward a lower-carbon energy future by providing renewable energy, natural gas and electricity to more than 1.2 million customers.
We’re looking for new talent to join us as we transform BC’s energy future. Our diverse team of more than 2,600 employees is committed to a safe and inclusive culture where each of us can connect, belong and grow. Join us and let’s work together for a better BC.
The purpose of this position is to plan, estimate and coordinate project requests from premium key accounts (e.g. builders and developers), external agencies, FortisBC departments, as well as end-use customers, where the projects present the greatest complexity. This role works both independently and with guidance to develop designs for distribution projects of the greatest complexity. This position prepares pricing and cost estimates and conducts field reconnaissance for related projects. The role is a liaison with customers, contractors, developers and others in matters related to alterations, renewals, upgrades, improvements and additions to the distribution systems.
- Coordinates projects, including but not limited to:
- defining customer requirements and project scope, creating and maintaining customer data,
- ensuring all service product requirements are collected,
- explaining FortisBC processes, procedures and requirements to customers,
- selecting the appropriate service products and pricing,
- conveying related permit requirements to customers,
- provide estimates on a diverse range of distribution projects
- facilitate and coordinate the installation and commissioning of distribution equipment and material availability and creating work orders.
- Processes jobs, including but not limited to:
- reviewing foreign utility data, legal land-base considerations and geography to determine appropriate electrical layout and design in accordance with FortisBC standards,
- completing electronic layout or Engineering drawings,
- select safe and economic line routes, satisfying numerous and varied construction and design criteria as well as customer needs, while taking into account present and future load requirements identifying and obtaining required internal and external approvals and prerequisites,
- identifying and requisitioning required inventoried materials and manufactured items,
- completing detailed estimates,
- explaining FortisBC procedures, policies, rate processes and municipal, provincial and federal regulations to customers,
- working with customers and authorities to ensure all service products requirements are collected and met,
- Ensures completion of the job and maintains customer relations, including but not limited to:
- building relationships with current, repeat and potential customers and external contacts,
- responding to customer inquiries including but not limited to installation costs, bill calculations, and the scheduling of work,
- acting as primary contact for premium rated builder/developers and internal/external customers.
- Responds to a variety of operational and maintenance issues, which may include (but are not limited to), overbuilds of plant related to all customer classes and identified by both the customer and company programs.
- Provides direction to other roles within the department.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties, including driving a vehicle, which do not affect the rating of the job.
- Completion of a post-secondary Electrical, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering Technologist Diploma.
- Certified or deemed eligible for certification at the technologist level by the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC).
- Four (4) years directly related relevant work experience and a minimum of 2 years of experience working directly on electrical design.
- Knowledge of electrical theory related to electrical distribution.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure during peak workload periods in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills including telephone call handling skills and the ability to respond to difficult or demanding situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Courteous, professional manner in dealing with internal and external contacts and customers, including positive interpersonal skills and the ability to provide direction in a team environment.
- Ability to analyze and resolve problems of a technical nature, and understand the implication of costs, risks, operability and safety.
- Sound working knowledge of various specialized software applications required to support operations activities (e.g. SAP, AutoCAD, GIS, OID) and the MS Office suite of applications.
- Superior customer service and product promotion skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Sound analytical and decision making skills.
- Capable of keyboarding at an intermediate level.
- Valid British Columbia drivers license.
- This position has restricted holiday availability based on operational requirements for certain months of the year, as per Article 14 of the MoveUp/FortisBC Collective Agreement.
- This position may involve working shift work or late coverage depending on customer and operational requirements. There is potential for day, afternoon and night shifts, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.
To learn more about the recruitment process with FortisBC, please visit the You’re Applying. What now? page for additional information.