Mine Planner (EIT), Advisory Services
Number of Openings:1
Position Overview:Finning is currently seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to join our team as a Mine Planning Engineer-in-Training (EIT). As a Mine Planning EIT you will be embedded within a customer Mine Planning department at one of our key customer partner’s mine sites. You will play a vital role in the development and execution of mine plans, contributing to the efficient and safe extraction of mineral resources. Working alongside experienced professionals, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in mine planning, design, and optimization, while making a meaningful impact on the success of our customer’s mining operations.
This position offers a camp-based 14/14 schedule, with transportation to and from the site provided by the customer through flights from Calgary or Edmonton, or by bus from Fort McMurray.
- Collaborate with the Mine Planning team to develop comprehensive short and mid-range mine plans, taking into account geological data, production targets, and operational constraints.
- Utilize advanced software and tools to optimize mine plans, considering factors such as equipment utilization, ore sequencing, and waste management, to maximize production efficiency and minimize costs.
- Conduct regular site visits and pit tours, working closely with operations supervisors to monitor mining progression, identify bottlenecks, and propose adjustments to the plan to ensure optimal productivity.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date mine as-built survey data, performing monthly reconciliations to evaluate actual production against the plan and identify areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with the Mine Engineering team to review and optimize design standards for the autonomous fleet, ensuring seamless integration of technology and maximizing operational effectiveness.
- Foster strong communication and coordination with the customer's Mining Automation team, sharing insights and expertise in MineStar and other relevant systems to enhance overall planning efficiency.
- Stay up-to-date with industry best practices, technological advancements, and emerging trends in mine planning and design, actively seeking opportunities to enhance your knowledge and contribute innovative ideas to the team.
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in a technical role, with a focus on providing solutions for customers. Post-secondary education in Mining Engineering, Civil Engineering, or a related field is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in mine design, mine planning, and mining operations, showcasing familiarity with industry standards and regulations.
- Proficiency in using various office programs, including MS Project, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, to analyze and present data effectively.
- Strong knowledge of major fleet management systems such as MineStar, Wenco, or Modular, enabling efficient utilization of autonomous equipment.
- Previous experience in Mining Operations or Heavy Civil Construction will be considered a valuable asset.
- Prior exposure to Mine Planning software such as Civil CAD, Vulcan, Deswik, or similar tools will be advantageous, showcasing your ability to work with industry-specific software.
At Finning, we prioritize creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we actively encourage all individuals to express themselves and achieve their full potential. As a company, we continuously strive to enhance our outreach to individuals of all backgrounds and identities. We do not discriminate against applicants based on gender identity, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities. Furthermore, Finning is committed to collaborating with and providing reasonable accommodations /adjustments to individuals with disabilities. If you require an adjustment/accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please inform your recruiter.