Shop Service Supervisor (5x2)
Number of Openings:1
Position Overview:Responsible for spending a minimum of 80% of time on the shop floor as it relates to safety, people, quality and quantity and the customer service commitment.
- Lead, demonstrate and champion a healthy and safe work environment ensuring that all safety standards, policies, procedures and compliance requirements are communicated, implemented and followed.
- Lead and participate in daily review and update meetings as well as scheduled pre-job, mid-job and post-job reviews
- Ensure compliance with NSC with proper inspections to trucks, track/identify required repairs and maintenance of the truck, ensure technicians are managing hours of service compliance and ensuring proper load securement and all supporting documentation
- Ensure pre-job meetings are held with technicians to review scope of work and binder accuracy with the team to ensure that any safety opportunities were identified through the repair process and leveraged as inputs to future work
- Ensure post-job review meetings are conducted and final inspections are complete
- On floor inspections include the controls identified on JHA’s are being used, the JHA is being updated along with the job progression and new risks are correct to the job progression and have the required controls identified
- Lead and participate in regular scheduled safety meetings
- Ensure that employees maintain the appropriate safety training required for their position
- responsible for the day-to-day leadership of staff, including recruitment and selection, orientation, coaching and mentoring, employee engagement, performance feedback and supporting growth and development opportunities.
- Conduct performance conversations and provide regular feedback to technicians
Quality - service right the first time
- Spends a minimum of 80% of time on the shop floor to ensure the agreed upon scope of work with the customer is accurately followed, while identifying key milestones where communication points (internal/external) need to happen.
- Ensuring that tooling, parts and technical issues are dealt with promptly so it doesn’t impact out customer service commitment
- Ensures quality daily time and service reports and cross over reports and field to shop transfers
- Repair process management
- Determine appropriate tooling for the jobs by working with the technicians and CAT SIS
- Understand the warranty process and determine warrantable failure and determine 3rd party requirements and availability if required
- Review inspection findings vs. scope of work/complaint that moves from shop to floor to the associated customer facing position with the required technical information to inform the customer
Quantity – manage productivity
- Ensure technicians and apprentices are aware of which bays/jobs they own for the day or shift and what, if any, critical issues are
- Manage and measure technician productivity
- Manage and determine manpower availability, allocate technicians as required and assign additional technicians if required
- Conduct mid-job review and verify if the job is at 60% and communicate the job changes to technician
- Provide insight and guidance by assigning work priorities to technicians where applicable by overseeing jobs for work quality and productivity
- Financial acumen course to understand and interpret associated KPIs related to branch profitability
- Strong understanding of Finning’s warranty process, policies and procedures
- Strong understanding of the goodwill process, process and procedures
- Understanding of the National Safety Code
- Strong understanding of contamination control
- Understanding and knowledgeable in Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) and hazard Assessment
- Strong understanding of the Caterpillar product line (forestry, mining, construction, etc.)
- Strong understanding of the Caterpillar processes (goodwill, product health structure, etc.)
- Understand warranty (new equipment, new parts, customer service commitment, finning exchange, OEM, etc).
- Undercarriage – understanding of tracks and components
- Understands the collective agreement, performance management and disciplinary processes and the principles of high performance leadership
- Accountable for ensuring quality on-going performance conversations and the formal review to be completed with all employees by the anniversary date.
- Demonstrated leadership and engagement a safe and working environment that is substantiated by meeting safety TRIF and LTI targets and supported by internal and external safety audits and implementing the resulting action plan
- Demonstrated leadership and engagement of assigned employees that is support by developing and leading an effective team, fostering a positive work environment and setting clear expectations that successfully contributes to effective and efficient service repair work completion, achievement of operational and strategic targets and goals, customer satisfaction, loyalty and deliver of Finning’s Customer Service Commitment.
- Ensure cores are returned and credited and all necessary information for warranty is included.
- Ensure that all documented standard operating procedures are being adhered to and followed consistently on the floor and with each job.
- Quality – needs to be accountable
- Ensure completion of daily timecards for all employees on shift and ensure this information is complete and accurate.
- Accountable for working towards a Caterpillar 4 Star rating
- Specific KPIs –
- Customer – Shop or Field NPS
- People – Direct Report EOS Engagement & Performance Plan Completion
- Financial – Lost time, promotion, Service Rework / Warranty, Shop Clean up, Tool Maintenance, Variance
- Safety – Direct report TRIF, Near Miss Reports, NSC Hours of Service, NSC Log Book Submissions
At Finning, we prioritize creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we actively encourage all individuals to express themselves and achieve their full potential. As a company, we continuously strive to enhance our outreach to individuals of all backgrounds and identities. We do not discriminate against applicants based on gender identity, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities. Furthermore, Finning is committed to collaborating with and providing reasonable accommodations /adjustments to individuals with disabilities. If you require an adjustment/accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please inform your recruiter.