Technology Support Specialist I - FINCA
Number of Openings:2
Position Overview:Reporting to the Technology Support Team Lead, the Technology Specialist I will provide expertise and ongoing technical support to assist the support team and customers on the use and operation of Caterpillar® Mining and Construction software and hardware technologies.
The primary function of the Technology Support Specialist is to provide ongoing technical support to end-users and customers, as well as mentoring coworkers on the use and operation of Mining software and hardware technologies. Using a combination of expertise and coordination with Finning and Caterpillar®, the successful candidate will provide troubleshooting and assistance implementing of the software and hardware for Cat® Technologies including, but not limited to: Command, Health, Fleet, Terrain, Site Aware, DSS, and Trimble Heavy Civil technologies that is currently used at the customers mining and construction operations. Responsibilities may also include Finning technologies under the CUBIQ family of services.
This role will be primarily based out of our Head Office branch in Edmonton, Alberta on a hybrid work schedule with requirements to be dispatched to our sites across Western Canada (Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories). On-call schedule will be required. Shift work and travel to site at 50% or more of working hours may be required as projects schedule dictates.
Customer Interaction/Technology Support 50%
- Customer Technical Support for both Minestar® and Caterpillar suite of products.
- Assist Support Specialists with implementation activities for both Minestar® and Caterpillar suite of products.
- Address incoming customer requests for technical assistance via telephone and in person.
- Provide on-site technical support as required
- Identify and troubleshoot product issues and take appropriate actions to repair and resolve issues in a cost-effective way, to minimize customer downtime. This may include, but not be limited to, making recommendations to customers for corrective actions.
- Reports back on product failure trends and serviceability issues.
Project Execution & Administration 25%
- Execute projects as directed to help develop customer requirements and develop customer processes to work efficiently with the systems.
- Manage projects and communication with customer to deliver upgrades, calibrations and troubleshooting as promised
- Inventory and tooling management: Maintain and track all Minestar® and/or Caterpillar technology inventory and tooling stored at the Edmonton Lab Room that may be used for internal training or diagnosis of customer technology parts
- Assist and provide support for technology projects as dictated by Team Lead.
- Complete lessons learned as directed
Tracking and Documentation 25%
- Complete documentation as required for support handover activities.
- Update and create documentation as required by customers for the MineStar® and Caterpillar technology systems.
- Develop best practices and documentation to support the Operations, Maintenance and Reliability of the Equipment and MineStar® and Caterpillar technology systems.
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
- Cultivates Innovation: Paying attention to what customers want and need – new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view. Embrace the mindset you and Finning are never done, never satisfied, never standing still.
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Finning.
- Courage: Being comfortable with the conflict that is inherent to being a champion of an idea or course of action. Meeting tough situations head-on to constructively resolve them. Saying what needs to be said at the right time, to the right person, in the right manner to effect change.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong acumen in both mining and construction, and the understanding of maintenance and operations equipment
- Knowledge in Mining Equipment Technology systems and Construction Equipment Technology systems
- Knowledge of various office programs MS Project, Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Project Management Skills – Planning and Executing of Projects
- Knowledge of commercial impact of decision making and demonstrates the ability to negotiate skillfully through tough situations to best advance organizational interests
- Strong communication (both verbal and written) and consultative skills, with the ability to adapt style to different audiences and provide recommendations to customers or colleagues
- Excellent analytical, risk assessment and problem-solving skills, which include quickly identifying core issues and making effective decisions
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to present relevant and concise information. Ability to flex and be agile based on the audience
- Ability to demonstrate professional leadership, credibility and able to maintain value added relationships with customers, colleagues and leaders
- Excellent critical thinking skills, can understand, identify and think through the implications and impacts of decisions within complex situations
- Strong business acumen, the ability to understand and interpret information from other Finning departments and apply to situations
- Excellent time management, organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment including a strong attention to detail
- Collaborative, responsive and service-oriented approach and proven ability to immediately establish credibly with customers and colleagues. Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency.
- A self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and able to work in an environment without clearly established boundaries
- Proactive, flexible and comfortable in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment, which demands a high level of energy and commitment
- Strong team player, who shares information and expertise with others to enable them to accomplish group goals, and seeks opportunities to contribute to the knowledge and success of the team
- Accountable for maintaining both customer satisfaction and contractual agreements in adherence with Finning’s Customer Service Commitment and Service Operations process.
- Ensure customer requests for support are responded to at earliest availability, and services are delivered in a time frame that is acceptable to the customer with safety at the forefront.
- Accountable for thorough documentation, reporting, and closure of support and training cases using provided customer support software.
- Accountable for all documented standard operating procedures are being adhered to and followed consistently with each job.
Education & Experience
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field which may include Business, Project Management, Trades and/or Engineering
- Minimum 5 years’ combined education and experience in mining or construction operations
- Knowledgeable in GPS/GNSS systems is an asset
- Experience with computer networking
- Experience with or knowledge in database management systems
- Knowledge in major fleet management systems including MineStar®/Wenco/Modular is an asset
- Civil CAD, Vulcan, Deswik or other Mine Engineering software experience
Automation in mining has expanded dramatically in the last decade. But the building blocks to get there started being put together long ago with Cat’s® first autonomy program over 30 years ago. Today, Caterpillar® has automation offerings for both surface and underground mining.
Finning, the largest Caterpillar® dealer worldwide, and a leader in the mining world is partnered with Caterpillar® to innovate, evolve, and expand autonomous mining offerings that will positively impact the customer experience. At Finning we will continue to invest in cutting edge training for our employees to ensure they are apprised of new developments in the mining and construction technology for our customers benefit.
This game changing development has translated into new employment opportunities at Finning for mining professionals who are digitally literate, along with having strong problem-solving skills and the ability to think creatively and critically. The timing could not be better to join Finning as automation and technology in the mining world evolves and to embrace a new career path.
At Finning, we prioritize creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we actively encourage all individuals to express themselves and achieve their full potential. As a company, we continuously strive to enhance our outreach to individuals of all backgrounds and identities. We do not discriminate against applicants based on gender identity, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities. Furthermore, Finning is committed to collaborating with and providing reasonable accommodations /adjustments to individuals with disabilities. If you require an adjustment/accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please inform your recruiter.