Lead Rendering Engineer (Apex Legends)
Lead Rendering Engineer (Apex Legends)
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they’ll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
As the Lead Rendering Engineer on Apex Legends, you will be the main driver of the architecture for the rendering systems we build, striving to improve the quality, performance, and usability of these systems as well as our processes and tools around them. In collaboration with the team, you will craft the vision and direction for the rendering team’s future roadmap, while providing technical guidance and mentoring to other rendering engineers.
- Develop, optimize, and maintain core rendering features, engine components, and tools shipping within a live game environment.
- Provide vision and leadership on large, complex initiatives.
- Work closely with all disciplines to gather requirements, triage and prioritize requests.
- Create, architect, and document technical designs for rendering features.
- Help grow and mentor a team of rendering engineers with a broad range of experience and seniority.
- Help with staffing plans for your team and long term road maps.
- Proactively identify issues and fix bugs.
- Be a technical leader for Apex Legends and help drive process improvements and set high quality standards.
- You will report to the Apex Platform Group Technical Director.
- Passion for making and playing games.
- Strong C/C++, architectural, and software engineering skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience using modern APIs such as DirectX 12 or Vulkan in a large codebase.
- Experience developing advanced graphics techniques and detailed knowledge of graphics hardware.
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization.
- Expertise in several of these fields: vertex, pixel, and compute shaders in HLSL; terrain or environment rendering; character rendering, advanced lighting techniques, particle systems, special effects, art pipelines, tool development and game engine architecture.
- Experience optimizing code and data to improve both memory consumption and execution speed.
- Excellent math skills with an emphasis on 3D math.
- Experience with large code bases and ability to work on code that you didn't write.
- Console programming experience on a AAA game.
- 5+ years of professional experience as an engineer on a game team.
Nice to Have
- Experience leading a team of 5+ engineers.
- Computer science, mathematics, physics, or related degree.
- Shipped multiple AAA titles.
- Console programming experience on a multiplayer AAA game.
If all this excites you, then we want to talk to you. Don't let doubt deter you! We are an equal opportunity team excited about our next journey. Please submit your resume to apply. We will get back to you once we have a chance to review.
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
• California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $149,150 - $233,500
• New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $136,000 - $233,500
• Jersey City, NJ:
º $171,100 - $233,500
• Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $136,000 - $190,850
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $136,000 - $218,900
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby (following 1 year of service), medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.