Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineer
Multiple Locations: Toronto, ON, Canada • Vancouver, BC, Canada
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
Site Reliability Engineer (Backend) - New Game
We exist to inspire the world to play and we’re looking for the right people to make that happen. As we bring new forms of entertainment to people around the world through our games, experiences and new ways to play, we need innovative, collaborative, diverse and adaptable people to keep making Electronic Arts better.
You will be working on backend infrastructure, including cloud web services, to facilitate creating exciting new features for a new mobile title for EA. As a studio, we build games for Imaginative Creators which allow players to create something that is an expression of their unique personality.
In this role you will be reporting into the New Game’s Server Technical Director while closely collaborating with the game team’s backend engineers from prototyping and market testing through to launching and live operations. The bulk of your work will be done in Kubernetes, Helm, and Terraform as well as configuring and deploying services to a Kubernetes cluster that runs on the Google Cloud Platform.
- Develop responsive, resilient, massively scalable, and globally available web services that support millions of players
- Creatively blend security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating
- Apply and improve service deployment and troubleshooting strategies that maximize uptime
- Drive the design and implementation of infrastructure configuration and deployment strategies
- Demonstrate excellent technical problem-solving skills while responding to the changing requirements of the game development process
- Work with the central tech teams and game team to author and review the cloud infrastructure configuration needed to support game features
- Setup live monitoring and alerting
- Support a great player experience by participating in live service support, incident troubleshooting, and resolution, possibly during non-core hours
Please note that you do not need to satisfy all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable having an open conversation about your qualifications.
- You have a Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- You have 5+ years of job experience in a hands on coding, DevOps, or infrastructure configuration role
- You've shipped and supported scalable web services hosted in the cloud
- You've deployed web services using Kubernetes and containerization
- You’ve owned large systems and features from design to deployment, including live service support
- You develop infrastructure for products that release new updates with zero downtime
- You have experience with load testing, troubleshooting, and optimizing the performance of web services
- You have experience with CI/CD pipeline technology like Gitlab CI
- You're willing to iterate quickly and develop multiple short-lived prototypes
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills and can effectively collaborate cross-functionally and cross-team to solve challenging technical issues
- You're a motivated self-starter and are able to operate with autonomy
- You have a desire to teach and learn from your peers
- Strong Linux hand on experience
- Knowledge of Bash/Shell script and Python
- You have experience with Google Cloud Platform, including Google Kubernetes Engine, or Google Cloud Spanner
- You have experience using Helm for managing Kubernetes applications
- You have experience with AWS cloud platform technologies, including ECS or EKS
- Knowing IaC with Terraform or Pulumi
- You've shipped web services that scale to millions of daily users
- You have experience developing services that support mobile applications
- You've worked in the games industry before
- You've built software with Java, Kotlin, Go, or the Spring Boot Framework
- You've worked on large teams using version control tools like git
- You have experience with distributed streaming technologies like Kafka
- You have experience working in large data-driven services
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITSThe base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.BASE SALARY RANGES • California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento): º $130,250 - $199,400 • New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo): º $120,450 - $199,400 • Jersey City, NJ: º $147,400 - $199,400 • Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs): º $120,450 - $161,750 • Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane): º $120,450 - $188,600Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.