Sr. Server Engineer
Sr. Server Engineer
Multiple Locations: Toronto, ON, Canada • Vancouver, BC, Canada
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
Senior Backend Software Engineer - New Game
We exist to inspire the world to play and we’re looking for the right people to make that happen. As we bring new forms of entertainment to people around the world through our games, experiences and new ways to play, we need innovative, collaborative, diverse and adaptable people to keep making Electronic Arts better.
You will be working on backend cloud web service features to facilitate creating exciting new features for the EA Mobile Lifestyle Studio. As a studio, we build games for Imaginative Creators; games that allow players to create something that is an expression of their unique personality.
In this role you will be reporting into the New Game’s Backend Lead Engineer and collaborating with multiple designers, producers, and client engineers from prototyping and market testing through to launching and live operations for key game backend features. The bulk of your work will be done in Java and Kotlin, using the Spring Boot framework, and deployed to Kubernetes in the Google Cloud Platform.
- Develop responsive, resilient, massively scalable, and globally available web services that support millions of players that are potentially shareable across teams
- Creatively blend security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating
- Apply and improve service deployment and troubleshooting strategies that maximize uptime
- Drive design and implementation of complex systems, sub-systems and APIs\protocols that are consistent, formalized, and testable
- Demonstrate excellent technical problem-solving skills under iteratively changing requirements during game development
- Troubleshoot the most complex, low reproduction issues efficiently during development and when live
- Author and review technical design documents and API specifications detailing software requirements
- Maintain a suite of automated test framework that validates the correctness of backend services
- Share innovation, best practices and features within the server pod through mentoring and contributions to the central tech stack
- Continuously learn from other Senior Software Engineers and industry experts to create best-in-class architectures and implementations
- Continuously assess risks and dependencies across the entire server stack
Please note that you do not need to satisfy all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable having an open conversation about your qualifications.
- You have a Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of job experience in a hands on coding role
- You've shipped and supported massively scalable web services hosted in the cloud
- You own large systems, subsystems and features from design to deployment, including live service support, which are generalized and cross-team shareable when appropriate
- You develop high-quality, testable software
- You have a desire to work with client engineers, designers, leads and cross-team folks to iteratively add new features and integrate existing features and improve APIs
- You develop APIs for products that release new updates with zero downtime strategies and tools
- You have experience with load testing, troubleshooting, and optimizing performance of web services
- You work on software that requires developing and optimizing queries and database access patterns
- You're willing to iterate quickly in a fast-paced environment
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You're a motivated self-starter; able to operate with autonomy
- You have a desire to teach and learn from your peers
- You have experience developing services that support mobile applications
- You've worked in the games industry before
- You've built software with Java or Kotlin
- You've shipped services using the Spring Boot Framework
- You've worked on large teams using version control tools like git
- You've deployed web services using Kubernetes and containerization
- You have experience with Google Cloud Platform, including Google Kubernetes Engine, or Google Cloud Spanner
- You have experience with distributed streaming technologies like Kafka
- You've shipped web services that scale to millions of daily users
- You have experience working in large data-driven services
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITSThe base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.BASE SALARY RANGES • California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento): º $130,250 - $199,400 • New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo): º $120,450 - $199,400 • Jersey City, NJ: º $147,400 - $199,400 • Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs): º $120,450 - $161,750 • Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane): º $120,450 - $188,600Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.