Manager, Electronics Hardware Engineering
About Delta-Q Technologies:
Delta-Q Technologies (www.delta-q.com) develops and supplies battery chargers to original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) of electric vehicles and industrial equipment. Delta-Q’s unique blend of engineering capability in high efficiency power electronics and embedded software design delivers innovative battery charging solutions to meet the evolving needs of its customers. With over three million vehicles and industrial machines already using its products, Delta-Q’s innovation is enabling the widespread adoption of environmentally-friendly electric drive systems. Delta-Q was founded in 1999 and is a privately held company located in Vancouver, Canada.
What We Value:
- Perseverance: We don’t give up when it’s hard.
- Innovation: We improve our products and processes when it’s a competitive advantage.
- Collaboration: We are one team. Respectful, open and honest.
- Driving Results: We are here to win. We work hard to deliver on our commitments.
Doing the Right Thing is the central philosophy at Delta-Q. Four simple words that sum up our values, and so much more about our company. It means doing the right thing for our employees, communities, and customers.
We’re passionate about creating a sustainable business and contributing to a greener future for the world. We have a Vision to 'Charge The Future' and we mean it.
At the end of the day, it’s what keeps us going.
About ZAPI GROUP:
Delta-Q is part of the ZAPI GROUP of companies (www.zapigroup.com), a global leader in motion control, battery charging and autonomous navigation software for electric and hybrid drive systems. As a full-solution supplier, the ZAPI GROUP can support every component OEMs need to design effective electric vehicles that meet cost goals and comply with tightening environmental standards.
The Manager, Electronics Hardware Engineering is responsible for leading and managing a team of power electronics and mixed signal electronics engineering staff in the execution of and delivery of new products and maintenance of our legacy product offerings.
You are responsible for planning, managing and coordinating team resources, processes and tools to deliver electronic hardware solutions for Delta-Q products.
You will also help determine the technical pathways to success that enable Delta-Q to achieve its long-term vision through delivery of our charging solutions.
This role will develop technical competencies of the team by providing direction, training, and continual mentorship, and will also be responsible for implementing and maintaining best in class electronics hardware development processes. This position requires someone who is open to collaboration and able to adapt to changing situations.
As an integral and influential technical leader for Delta-Q, you will guide teams in completing schedules that are both ambitious and achievable, recognizing the balance between releasing high performance products and managing important activities.
Mentorship, technical knowledge and values-based coaching techniques are key and critical elements to a successful people manager at Delta-Q. You are expected to be open, create trusting relationships with your team, particularly our aspiring engineers. By offering your guidance and expertise, you will help develop the talent technical aptitude of those around you, while pushing project boundaries of what is possible.
The position will also be part of a larger leadership group at Delta-Q, weighing in on product initiatives and offering your insights on how we remain ahead of our competition in this rapidly evolving industry.
- Accountable for all electronic and electrical development, planning and execution of Delta-Q products and supporting hardware applications.
- Support, work alongside & coach the team during design, development, testing, debugging, modifying, implementing and change management of hardware solutions.
- Implement features and functions for new and existing products as well as participating & contributing to advanced technology development activities.
- Partner with Product & Program Management and other engineering teams to review product functional requirements and development schedules.
- Ensure detailed product specifications are developed and tracked according to project plans, resource assignments and schedules.
- Develop, coordinate and implement improvements in hardware development methodology, tools and best practices ensuring best fit with corporate and end-customer requirements.
- Perform effective talent management of employees and participates in all employee development activities including but not limited to recruitment, retention, and performance management.
- Effectively communicates company and department vision, objectives, project status and plans both internally and outside the hardware team as required.
- Provide input into corporate and engineering department strategy and operating plans to create and align hardware development activities with company strategy and long-term vision.
- Responsible for ensuring that the team is operating in accordance with all applicable safety procedures and guidelines.
- Interfaces with other ZAPI Group partner companies to collaborate on process, tools and developments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant education in Electronic Engineering, Engineering Physics or a related Engineering discipline, combined with a minimum of 10 years’ experience of design for high manufacturing volume, development and release cycles for hardware systems.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with power electronics topologies, components, drive circuits, magnetics, and protection as well as digital and small signal analog electronic circuits used in the control and monitoring.
- Have direct experience in design for EMC, strategies, test methods, equipment and debugging.
- Have experience with thermal management implementation practices for high power electronics systems for a volume manufacturing setting.
- Previous experience working alongside offshore contract manufacturers and suppliers in a high-volume production environment.
- Experience in designing equipment for concept evaluation, product development, production in process testing and production out of box is a strong asset.
- Demonstrable successful experience in the execution of detailed design verification & product validation test plans.
- Excellent team leadership and talent management experience.
- Effective decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to plan and execute on program deliverables.
- A willingness to proactively adapt to evolving situations.
- Consistently exhibit and model Delta-Q’s company values (Collaboration, Perseverance, Innovation, Driving Results).
Familiarity and experience in one or more of the following areas would be an asset:
- Change management processes for high volume electronic product manufacturing
- Wide bandgap power semiconductors.
- Advanced digital control techniques.
- Systems thinking and the application of V-Model development life cycles.
- Regulatory and safety standards (UL, CSA, TUV, etc.)
- Quality standards such as ISO 9001 and Automotive
- PFMEA and DFMEA
- Metal castings and plastic injection molding
- Software development and processes
Base Salary: $130,000 - $167,000 CAD per year plus bonus.
The compensation offered will be determined by experience, qualifications, knowledge, and skills.
Only in special circumstances, where candidates demonstrate the experience and skills to exceed those required for the position, would we consider paying above the range for this role.
- Annual incentive (bonus) programs
- 2% GRSP employer matching with Industrial Alliance (iA)
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits with Sunlife Financial
- Paid time off including vacation plus 8 days of personal time
- $300 annual Health Spending Account
- Employee & Family Assistance programming
- Hybrid work flexibility
- In-house Gym
- EV charging stations
- Dog-friendly office