Senior Software Developer - Processor Software (Hybrid)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
D-Wave is the leader in the development and delivery of quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our mission is to unlock the power of quantum computing by delivering customer value with practical quantum applications for problems as diverse as logistics, artificial intelligence, materials sciences, drug discovery, cybersecurity, fault detection, and financial modeling.
D-Wave’s quantum computers and quantum cloud services are being used by some of the world’s most advanced organizations, including Volkswagen, DENSO, Lockheed, and Los Alamos National Laboratory. We have also appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
As of August 8, 2022, our company is a quantum computing commercial enterprise! D-Wave ($QBTS) is now officially listed on the NYSE.
About the role:
D-Wave's processor software team is responsible for creating and maintaining software that supports both the processor development (PD) and hardware engineering (HWE) teams. PD is responsible for the development of the quantum processor, and HWE is responsible for the hardware (cryogenics, pumps, electronics, IO, etc.) that is necessary to operate the quantum processor. Together, these form the core of D-Wave's advanced quantum computing technology.
D-Wave is seeking a senior full-stack software developer to join the processor software team. In this role you will work closely with HWE and be responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting the software systems used in D-Wave's fleet of dilution refrigerators, equipment test benches, and other lab hardware. This includes both the back-end systems that interface with the hardware and the front-end interfaces used by D-Wave staff and support personnel to control and monitor the hardware and instrumentation.
Specifically, you will work to increase the level of automation of control tasks, lead an evaluation and potential re-architecture of the system, and align testing and validation procedures with industry standards. The successful candidate will be self-driven, but comfortable working closely with others.
Because of the need to work closely with others and to interact with hardware, this position will be on-site or hybrid.
What you'll do:
- Full life-cycle support of software products including requirements gathering, design, development, test and validation, and production deployment
- Integrate support for new hardware devices into the software suite as they are introduced by HWE
- Support, troubleshooting, and bugfixes for production and research systems
- Work with HWE, Services, and DevOps teams to develop and enhance monitoring and logging of data from production and research systems
- Work with and, when appropriate, take input from other software team members at D-Wave (including architects, UI/UX designers, developers, testers, and DevOps personnel) to ensure consistency of practices and tools
What you'll bring:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science (or related field preferred) with 8+ years of professional software development experience (or master's degree and 4 years of experience)
- Experience with design, implementation, testing, and maintenance of software that interfaces with hardware
- Experience supporting software used in a commercial, production environment
- Experience working with and supporting hardware development teams
- Expert level proficiency in Python
- Experience developing graphical user interfaces for interacting with hardware
- Experience defining, implementing, and consuming REST APIs
- Mid-level experience with Git: branching, merging, issuing pull requests, etc.
- Experience working in Linux/Unix environment
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication skills
- A collaborative mindset and a demonstrated ability to work effectively on an interdisciplinary team, on a wide variety of problems
- Self-motivated, proactive, flexible, curious, and passionate attitude towards learning
- Familiarity with industrial protocols such as Modbus and ASCII-based serial
- Experience with Qt or other graphical user interface/application platform
- Experience with front-end (eg React, Redux), back-end (e.g., Django), and communication (gRPC or similar) web technologies
- Experience with SQL and noSQL databases
- Experience using, developing, and deploying docker containers
- Experience with CI/CD tools and pipelines
The Canadian national average salary range for this role is $124,364 to $195,000. The disclosed range reflects the average base salary minimum and maximum target for new hires in the position within Canada. We are looking for candidates in multiple career levels and the respective salary range for the successful candidate will be adjusted for the applicable level and geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. Actual compensation within the range is based on factors including but not limited to relevant education, skills, licenses, training and certifications, experience, as well as business needs.
In addition to base salary, this role is also eligible to participate in our Annual Incentive Plan (Bonus plan), equity grants and programs, PTO, and a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, STD, LTD, and Travel Insurance.
We celebrate diverse perspectives to drive innovation in our pursuit. Our employees range from distinguished domain experts with decades of experience in their respective fields, to bright and motivated graduates eager to make their mark.
Our diverse and innovative team will make you feel appreciated, supported and empower your career growth at D-Wave.
No 3rd party candidates will be accepted.
It is D-Wave's policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.