Benchmarking Researcher II (Hybrid)
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Posted on Thursday, November 2, 2023
D-Wave is the leader in the development and delivery of quantum computing systems, software, and services and is the world’s first commercial supplier of quantum computers. Our mission is to unlock the power of quantum computing by delivering customer value with practical quantum applications for problems as diverse as logistics, artificial intelligence, materials sciences, drug discovery, cybersecurity, fault detection, and financial modeling.
D-Wave’s systems and quantum cloud services are being used by some of the world’s most advanced organizations, including Volkswagen, DENSO, Lockheed, and Los Alamos National Laboratory. We have also appeared in Time Magazine, MIT Technology Review, Forbes, INC Magazine and Wired.
As of August 8, 2022, our organization is a publicly traded quantum computing company, trading on the NYSE as ($QBTS).
About the role:
We are seeking a highly skilled and innovative Benchmarking Researcher II to join our Application Development Technologies & Tools team.
The Benchmarking Researcher II will be a part of the internal benchmarking team (BMT) at D-Wave. The main task of this role will be to work on algorithmic improvements within the Hybrid Development Program at D-Wave. In this role, you will conduct independent research and communicate your results to our internal teams and stakeholders. To be successful in this role, a strong understanding of algorithms and hands on coding skills in Python will be required. D-Wave Systems believes that quantum computing has the potential to help solve some of the most complex technical, scientific, national defense, and commercial problems that organizations face.
Today, we offer a full stack of systems, software, developer tools, and services to enable enterprises, governments, laboratories, and academic institutions to access the power of quantum computing.
What you'll do:
- Conduct research and development activities focused on benchmarking and characterization of our quantum computing systems
- Design and conduct experiments to measure QPU contribution to different hybrid algorithm variations
- Work to expand and improve a Python framework for managing benchmarking experiments and results
- Run experiments to compare different quantum hybrid solver implementations
- Analyze and track results over time so that we can identify promising areas of performance
- Implement algorithmic ideas for operating our QPU
- Participate in the development of classical and/or quantum optimization algorithms, implement them, and benchmark them
- Communicate findings internally and externally
- Not responsible for productization or performance implementation
What you'll bring:
- Intermediate-level Python programming skills
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms, Monte Carlo sampling methods, and/or statistical physics
- Ability to clearly understand, articulate and implement algorithms based on scientific research papers
- Working with a diverse group of technical experts to incorporate their expertise into software projects
- Experience conducting independent research
- Experience with exploratory and graphical methods of data analysis
- Proficiency in technical writing
- Demonstrated experience in algorithm development
The Canadian national average salary range for this role is $79,600 to $119,400. The disclosed range reflects the average base salary minimum and maximum target for new hires in the position in Canada. The respective salary range for the successful candidate will be adjusted for the applicable geographic differential associated with the location at which the position may be filled. Actual compensation within the range is based on factors including but not limited to relevant education, skills, licenses, training and certification, experience, as well as business needs.
In addition to base salary, this role is also eligible to participate in our Annual Incentive Plan (Bonus plan), equity grants and programs, PTO, and a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, STD, LTD, and Travel Insurance.
We celebrate diverse perspectives to drive innovation in our pursuit. Our employees range from distinguished domain experts with decades of experience in their respective fields, to bright and motivated graduates eager to make their mark.
Our diverse and innovative team will make you feel appreciated, supported and empower your career growth at D-Wave.
No 3rd party candidates will be accepted.
It is D-Wave Systems Inc. policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.