Director of Design
Location: Canada (Ideally Vancouver, BC) - Remote Working
Copperleaf’s enterprise software helps some of the world’s largest firms make better strategic decisions. We have a track record of delivering award-winning, industry-changing solutions. Join our team as we continue to enable our clients to build more resilient and sustainable infrastructure.
At Copperleaf, we embrace the profound influence of design in driving business impact. We are looking for a Director of Design to lead our talented Design Team.
In this role you will drive the strategy and vision for design. You will be at the forefront of the building and nurturing of the Design Team, spearheading user-centric research based on agile design processes, while actively collaborating with product and engineering teams to help build and support high-performance cross-functional teams.
Ultimately you will lead the Design Team to deliver user experiences that increase user satisfaction and engagement while also improving usability at scale.
- Set the UX vision for Copperleaf, defining an aspirational, future-state view of our products.
- Set the Design Team Vision, describing why and how the design team delivers value and business impact to the company.
- Effectively communicate the role and value of design within the company and ensure that the role of design is aligned with the business goals of Copperleaf.
- Coach and mentor your team, providing feedback on their performance and ensuring they deliver impactful research and high-quality work that meets user and business needs.
- Define career paths for your team, identifying opportunities for growth and developing plans to achieve measurable goals.
- Set a high bar in UX research, UI design and other design deliverables across the product suite.
- Work with leaders of other functions such as Product Management, Development, and Client Experience to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively and executing on the company's strategy.
- Develop and implement effective and agile design processes across the company.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative design culture.
- Be an advocate for design to work closely with, deeply understand, and provide value to clients.
- Publicly represent Copperleaf Product design (e.g. in blog posts, industry events).
- Embrace Artificial Intelligence, both in the way we do design, and in the way that users interact with our products.
- As Director of Design, your role primarily involves strategic leadership and team oversight. However, we appreciate a director who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty. Whether it's spearheading a design initiative or occasionally stepping in to contribute to design tasks, we believe in leading from the front and maintaining a strong connection to the heart of our design activities.
As our Director of Design, you are expected to possess the following required attributes:
- Proven experience in design leadership roles, as well as hands-on design roles.
- Ability to develop and communicate a UX Vision for the product and a Design Team Vision for Copperleaf.
- Ability to guide, mentor, and inspire other designers. Possessing high empathy, you are excellent at listening to and empowering your team while proactively coaching and pushing them to the next level of personal growth and craft.
- Experience in the design of enterprise applications.
- Experience in design, discovery, user research.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to influence at all levels.
Preferred attributes include:
- Ability to balance competing business objectives to help prioritize Design Team work
- Creative, pragmatic, and collaborative approach
- Organizational and project management skills
- Experience with developing and implementing user experience best practices within an organization
- Experience working in a complex B2B space
We recognize that talent comes in many forms, so we’re looking for passion, enthusiasm and transferable skills.
Please submit a portfolio in the format of your choice to tell us about yourself and your experience as a design leader.
What’s it like here?
At Copperleaf, we’re committed to building a great culture because we know it sets us apart. Culture is at the very core of everything we do, and it’s what makes people want to be part of the market-leading company we’re building. We are a global team of world-class innovators continually pushing the limits of what’s possible to deliver exceptional value and extraordinary experiences to our clients. To do that, we actively cultivate an open and supportive team environment, where diverse ideas and perspectives are encouraged and respected.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, Copperleaf is building a better world, one decision at a time. As one of Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies, winner of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and the BC Tech Association’s Tech Culture of the Year, we are a dynamic and disruptive organization offering exciting opportunities for growth and innovation.