Sonic Driller/Drillers in Training
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Mud Bay Drilling has built a reputation based on trust and experience. Since 1972, we’ve delivered information through drilling, sampling and in-situ testing on geotechnical, environmental and exploration projects. We continue to offer the highest quality services in a safe, reliable and cost-effective manner. We operate a large fleet including geotechnical mud rotary and multi-drills, sonic drills, auger drills and specialty geotechnical drills and equipment. Driven by our dedication to safety and innovation, we’re a team connected by a culture of hard work and respect for one another. We commit to all employees that we will provide a respectful, positive, and enriching work environment. We want you to look forward to going to work every day. We reward and recognize staff for exceptional contributions to the company. Our success is a direct result of the people who work here.
Mud Bay Drilling offers a comprehensive benefits package for all regular full-time employees including extended health, dental, long-term disability and life insurance, wellness program, RRSP matching, corporate stock incentives, a referral bonus, professional development and more.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Responsible for operating heavy machinery in a variety of environments, the Sonic Driller will conduct basic maintenance and provide consistent, high-quality upkeep of the rig and general working area while abiding by all safety regulations. A successful candidate must have the ability to multi-task with an eye for efficiency and a safety mindset.
This role is suited for geotechnical drillers looking to train on sonic drillers, and drillers in training looking to progress into a lead driller role.
ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
- Set up and operate sonic drilling equipment, sampling systems, geophysical instruments and other in-situ testing equipment following Mud Bay Drilling’s procedures in a safe and productive manner.
- Provide timely assistance to Engineers and Technicians as required.
- Assist with the mobilization and demobilization of equipment in hard-to-access environments.
- Perform routine maintenance on various pieces of equipment to ensure optimal performance.
Health & Safety
- Identify with and respect Mud Bay Drilling's safety culture, first and foremost.
- Ensure proper preparation and knowledge of all necessary safe operating procedures before beginning any job.
- Report any safety-related incidents, infractions, or near misses to the Project Manager and the HSE Officer, immediately.
- Know and follow the incident reporting protocol at all times.
Other General Responsibilities
- Communicate with the Supervisor or Project Manager as to any equipment problems or needs, as well as any field observations that might be of use.
- Seek ways to improve operating procedures/processes.
- Perform other shop functions as required.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- High School Diploma required.
- Driver's license (minimum Class 5) and clean driving record.
- Commercial driver's license an asset.
- Having experience as a driller or driller's helper experience related to sonic or geotechnical drilling a huge asset.
Technical Skill Requirements
- Ability to work in mining and oil & gas environments.
- Must be able to perform physically demanding tasks, including lifting, moving heavy materials up to 50 lbs, climbing, crawling as well as walking on uneven ground, and working long hours in all weather conditions.
Soft Skill Requirements
- Willingness to work with a wide variety of equipment
- Willingness to work long hours outdoors in all conditions
- Willingness to work hard, and travel for work
- Willingness to perform both shops based and field-based work
- Willing to learn new advanced geotechnical testing techniques involving sophisticated electronic testing equipment
- Positive attitude in the workplace
- Hourly pay including daily overtime, weekly overtime, and double time
- Paid travel and paid training
- Additional perks and bonuses
- Out of town living allowance
- Excellent benefits
- Year-round work
As part of our dedicated focus on the health and safety of all employees, and due to the requirement that employees be able to safely complete the tasks associated with this job position, a successful candidate may be required to take a pre-employment fit for duty test, including a drug and alcohol testing, and complete a satisfactory criminal record check.
Mud Bay Drilling is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any other status protected by applicable law.