Sr. Field Service Technician - Austin Area
At Motorola Solutions, we believe that everything starts with safety. It’s the constant that empowers people to confidently move forward. It can fill a flight or sell out a stadium. It can care for a patient or graduate a class.
As a global leader in public safety and enterprise security, we create and connect the technologies that help to keep people safe where they live, learn, work and play. Our integrated technology ecosystem unifies critical communications, video security and access control, and command center software, enabling collaboration in more powerful ways.
At Motorola Solutions, we’re ushering in a new era in public safety and security. Bring your passion, potential and talents to a career that matters.
Motorola Solutions is a world leader in the field of professional mobile communications systems with an impressive heritage of technological innovations and a global base of installed systems. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers.
- The position responsibilities include upgrades, implementation, optimization and maintenance support of a large complex regional communication system.
- The Field Service Technician will provide technical support of specialized systems and product applications including advanced troubleshooting of software driven electronics, provisioning of communication system infrastructure and performance optimization of RF and Broadband architecture including, but not limited to, legacy analog, advanced digital P25 and data infrastructure.
- Maintain, optimize, test and document complex communications systems.
- Provide weekly reports of activities and accomplishments.
- Perform preventative maintenance routines to ensure proper system operation with focus on trend analysis and documentation of results
- Develop solutions to difficult technical problems encountered as part of system maintenance, upgrades or support issues
- Strong knowledge of wired communications systems, such as local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN), must be proficient in computer network installation, configuration and maintenance systems to include cabling, routers, switches, firewalls and bridges.
- Capable of performing maintenance of server hardware/OS and software infrastructure and troubleshooting to resolve system/application related issues.
- Strong knowledge of R.F. systems, such as transmitters, receivers, and antenna networks
- Strong knowledge in standard telephony and dedicated data circuits, as well as knowledge of packet switching techniques
- Total familiarity with the latest technologies and troubleshooting techniques
- Highly computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
- Strong self-management skills and "people" skills to work closely with Motorola’s customers and subcontractor (MSS) community, as well as Motorola Sales, Engineering, Project Management, and customer service teams
- Self-motivated and self-managed to perform the required duties at a distance from direct supervision
- Strong self-management and communications skills, ability to work closely with Customers, Team Members, Sales, Engineering, UO, PM’s & CSM’s.
- Able to solve customer problems quickly during stressful situations
- Ability to read and understand equipment schematics and diagrams.
- Proficient in use of various communications test devices and equipment including: System Analyzers, Power Meters, etc.
- Be proficient with MS Office, Motorola CPS Software.
- BA in Engineering/IT related fields, Associates and 2+ years experience or 4+ years experience as a Technician, Field/System, IT, Networking, RF, LMR or Electronics.
- Prior Military Electronics
- Network certifications (Security +/ CompTIA Network+, Juniper JNCIA-Junos, Nokia NRS1, CCNA or similar, highly desirable)
- FCC License, ETA and/or other Industry Certifications are also desired.
- Must be able to obtain background clearance as required by government customers
- Availability to be on-call on a 24/7, 365 day basis
- Travel estimation 25%
- Must have a current valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Location / Territory
- This position will be based in the Austin, TX area
This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice's "Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy" and therefore requires successfully passing a more stringent fingerprint background check administered by Motorola Solutions Inc. customers.
- 4+ years of experience with one or more of the following: LMR, IT, Radio, RF Systems, Wired/Wireless Communication Systems or Networking Equipment.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. indefinitely is required. Employer work permit sponsorship is not available for this position.
Referral Payment Plan
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
- 401K with Company Match
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
- and more!
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.