Associate II, Lab Operations
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
We are seeking an Associate II, Lab Operations to join Aspect’s Operations team to support the R&D teams focused on developing bioprinted tissue therapeutics for cell therapy applications. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Lab Operations, this role supports daily lab operations including maintaining an organized and clean lab environment, restocking of consumables and preparing specific solutions as required. This role involves attention to detail, a strong understanding of lab safety protocols, and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently. The individual in this position will play a key role in facilitating the smooth operation of the lab, which directly impacts the effectiveness and success of our research endeavors. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, organized, and reliable team player with a background in a laboratory setting. This is an onsite position.
- Support all lab teams by serving as a point of contact and responding to immediate needs.
- Assess on-going procedures in the lab and participate in making improvements.
- Ensure routine lab tasks such as autoclaving, glass washing, changing gas cylinders and hazardous waste disposal are performed as needed and in a safe manner.
- Oversee the production and maintenance of reagent stocks and their proper storage.
- Manage and maintain the inventory of lab supplies and ordering of consumables, reagents, and equipment in a timely manner.
- Keep laboratory workspaces, storage cabinets, fridges and freezers clean and organized.
- Determine scheduling and carry out routine equipment maintenance procedures.
- Handle receiving of lab orders including dangerous goods items.
- Conduct regular lab safety inspections including testing of safety equipment.
- Ensure compliance to safety regulations and report any issues to manager.
- Looks for ways to improve safety in the lab through enhanced engineering controls, training, lab procedures and equipment. Take corrective action of unacceptable safety measures when needed.
- Participate as a member of safety committee(s) when required.
- Assist with developing and managing safety training programs and onboarding new staff.
- Ensure all documentation is up to date and maintained.
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills and coordinate activities with the rest of the lab operations team in productive manner.
- Education + Experience: BSc in a related Life Sciences discipline and a minimum of 2 year’s experience in a compliant biotechnology manufacturing setting, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Who You Are
- Intellectually Curious: You have a burning desire to learn more and are not afraid to ask questions.
- Problem Solver: You love immersing yourself in difficult technical problems and coming up with solutions that work. You think outside the box and use your experience and intuition to identify when such solutions are realistic.
- Detail-Oriented & Meticulously Organized: You have outstanding attention to detail and take pride in your work and strive for excellence. You can multitask, prioritize competing deadlines, and have a track record for delivering work on time.
- Thrive in Ambiguity: You are highly adaptable, agile, and poised when faced with change, ambiguity, and competing priorities.
- Collaborative: You thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment and believe that we can get further, faster by working together.
- Effective Communicator: You are an active listener who can effectively communicate with different audiences in diverse situations.
- Time Management: You have excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work.
- Go-Getter: You work with a sense of urgency, are results-driven, and thrive in a fast-paced, interdisciplinary, and entrepreneurial environment. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and do what it takes to get the job done.
The hiring range for this role is $51,000 - $73,000, annually. Our ranges are based on market data. Offered salaries will be based on a combination of factors including, but not limited to, job-related knowledge, skills, education, and experience. For candidates who exceed role requirements, we are open to exploring above-range offers. Note that base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at Aspect. Members of the Aspect team also receive equity, a comprehensive benefits package, and support for continuous learning and career progression.
Who We Are
Aspect Biosystems is a Canadian biotechnology company creating bioprinted tissue therapeutics to transform how we treat disease. Our bold team of innovators and entrepreneurs have joined us from all over the globe to create a new class of regenerative medicine and work towards a future where our bioprinted tissues are used to save lives and make people healthier. We are endlessly curious and wildly passionate about what we do. Every person on our team is a key contributor to our success and is eager to roll up their sleeves to make a difference in the ever-changing world of biotech. If you are committed to making a real impact and accelerating the development of life-changing therapies, we want to hear from you!
At Aspect Biosystems, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or terminate, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, provincial, or local law.