Associate Scientist, Mass Spectrometry
AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of computation, engineering, and biology, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of how drugs are discovered with a discovery platform that integrates modern technologies from engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science. With over 400 AbCellerites and growing, we’re expanding our capabilities to include CMC development and GMP manufacturing of antibodies to bring therapies from idea to patients, faster.
We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist to join CMC Analytical Development at AbCellera. In this capacity, the Associate Scientist will assist in a number of high priority activities including the build out of mass spectrometric capabilities, the design and development of mass spectrometric workflows, and the design of a technical strategy to support mass spectrometric demand within the Process Development department.
We'd love to hear from you if
- You are an innovator and ready to help new approaches to the discovery and development of therapeutics
- You have a strong desire to support early antibody discovery work by developing ways to improve and speed up the discovery to CMC development to GMP manufacturing paradigm
- You are ready to revolutionize therapeutic development and move at lightning speed to create a legacy in our industry
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
- You are highly motivated and excited about the opportunity to work with an inspired team on challenging problems that matter
How you might spend your days
- Setting up, optimizing, and maintaining mass spectrometry instrumentation
- Designing, developing and, when necessary, qualifying LC-MS-based analytical methods in support of bioprocess development activities (cell line development, upstream/downstream process development, pharmaceutical development)
- Performing detailed protein characterization including amino acid sequence confirmation, identification and quantitation of post-translational modifications, disulfide bond mapping and integrity analysis, sequence variant analysis, intact/reduced mass analysis, etc
- Communicating within and across organizations to align methodology and share analytical findings
- Publishing and communicating technical reports reflecting MS-based investigations and findings
- Leading method transfers to or co-qualifications with other testing labs, investigations, test performance monitoring/trending, and be responsible for the quality and scientific integrity of data generated in their assigned area
- Supporting CMC projects, ensuring responsibilities are completed on-time and in alignment with GxP expectations (21 CFR part 11 compliance, documentation, etc)
Required Skills and Experience
- A BSc in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with 2-5 years of experience or MSc with 0 to 2 years of experience in an academic or industry wet lab environment
- Hands on experience with mass spectrometry, preferably high resolution mass spectrometry
- Experience with intact mass analysis, peptide mapping, and PTM analysis
- Familiarity with disulfide mapping, glycan mapping, sequence variant analysis, or other related methods would be an advantage
- Experience or familiarity with analytical platforms such as Byos, Empower, Xcalibur, etc.
- Expertise in operating, calibrating, maintaining and troubleshooting LC-MS equipment as well as other instrumentation used in protein analytics
- Familiarity with analytical chromatography (HPLC/UPLC) coupled to various non-MS detectors (e.g. PDA/DAD, FLD, ELSD, MALS/QELS) is preferred
- General familiarity with protein electrophoresis and protein chemistry/biophysical methods (CE-SDS, iCIEF, etc)
- Familiarity with regulatory guidelines and practices (FDA, EMA, ICH, etc) is desired
- Experience and proficiency with ELNs (IDBS, Benchling, etc)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a collaborative, matrixed environment and to build partnerships across project teams.
- Experience in analytical method validation/transfer, data management, automation, and basic statistics.
- Familiarity with testing in compliance with current electronic data integrity regulations.
- Proven verbal and written communication and planning/organizational skills.
- Proficiency with GxP-related documentation requirements as it relates to the CMC space.
What we offer
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.