Research Scientist — High-Throughput Antibody Characterization
AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing technology company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that can be developed into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of biology, chemistry, computation, and engineering, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of drug discovery with a platform that integrates modern technologies from biotechnology, engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We routinely discover large panels of antibodies and are expanding our high-throughput biophysical and analytical techniques to assess their properties and identify leads with low developability risk early in our programs. We are seeking an experienced and motivated Research Scientist who thrives in a fast-paced organization and brings in-depth understanding in analytical and biophysical methods as well as drive lead selection for clinical development. Ideal candidates are keen to collaborate with teams from across the organization including protein engineers, early discovery, translational sciences, pre-clinical development and CMC, to build a fully integrated next generation drug discovery platform that can rapidly turn discovered antibodies into a therapeutic lead ready for clinical testing.
How you might spend your days:
- Developing high-throughput workflows for analytical and biophysical screening of antibody properties
- Optimizing and operating diverse analytical and biophysical instrumentation such as analytical chromatography (UHPLC), capillary electrophoresis (CE), light scattering (DLS, SEC-MALLS), differential scanning fluorimetry (nDSF)
- Analyzing and assembling large dataset of detailed antibody characterization including analytics, biophysics and in silico assessment
- Support lead therapeutic panel selection using analytical, biophysical and binding data obtained on hundreds of program sequences
- Liaising with partners and communicating project updates and deliverables
- Evaluating new analytical and biophysical technologies and developing innovative new workflows and processes
- Training and mentoring of junior team members of a dynamic team
- Working with data scientists, machine learning and software engineers to streamline the capture, curation and analysis of large data sets
- Collaborating with teammates from discovery biology, protein engineering and other teams to build platforms and processes, as well as analyze, interpret and communicate data
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have a passion for science, technology, and innovation
- You are energized by working with teammates to develop innovative workflows that revolutionize the speed and quality of therapeutic antibody discovery and optimization
- You are self-motivated, and have the initiative to meet project goals under tight timelines
- You are a great communicator and team player
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Structural Biology, with an additional 2+ years of relevant experience in the biopharma or biotechnology industries. Candidates with an MSc degree and 5+ years of relevant experience will also be considered
- Demonstrated expertise in the detailed analytical characterization of proteins using analytical chromatography, capillary electrophoresis, light scattering, differential scanning fluorimetry, mass spectrometry, or related techniques
- Ability to analyze and large data sets and interpret and communicate data
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- Impeccable attention to detail, excellent communication, documentation and technical writing skills
- Excellent decision-making, and troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with antibody binding and other mechanistic data from SPR or related technologies is an advantage
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with lab automation
- Experience with antibodies and bi/multispecifics
- Experience with electronic lab notebook environments
What we offer:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23119 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.