Senior Research Scientist - Cell Culture & High-Throughput Biotherapeutic Expression
AbCellera is a young, energetic, and rapidly growing tech company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that its partners can develop into drugs to prevent and treat disease. We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Research Scientist, with demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience relevant to cell culture and expression of antibodies or other biotherapeutics to join our multidisciplinary team. Our ideal candidate is a highly motivated and self-directed scientist, a team-player who thrives in a fast-paced work environment with multiple competing priorities, and above all, someone who can learn and grow with us. This is an exciting opportunity to join one of Canada’s most innovative biotech companies and to contribute to our cutting-edge research on antibody engineering, advanced mammalian cell systems, and molecular research supporting the discovery of novel monoclonal antibodies for therapeutic use.
How you might spend your days:
- Contributing to the development of high throughput and automated workflows for expression of antibodies and other biotherapeutic formats to drive high throughput screening efforts
- Providing leadership in cell culture and antibody expression, including designing, planning and executing experiments, either independently or in collaboration with teammates
- Training, mentoring, and supervising members of a dynamic team
- Organizing, supporting, and collaborating with team members to meet project deliverables and timelines
- Coordinating project execution activities with upstream molecular biology and downstream purification and analytics functions
- Engaging with multiple teams at AbCellera to build optimal solutions for challenges in antibody production, including developing process steps to maximize product yield and team workflow
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You are a creative problem solver and fast learner who believes in team work to tackle the most challenging scientific problems
- You take pride in mentoring team members to enhance their technical and project leadership skills, drive career development and maximize performance
- You are an outstanding communicator and teammate
- You think critically, are curious and want to explore new technologies, opportunities and integrate automation to improve the antibody production workflow and process
Required qualifications and experience:
- A PhD in Biological Sciences (Cell Biology, Bioprocess Engineering, Biotechnology, or other relevant fields), with 8+ years of experience, including 5+ years of relevant industry experience
- Candidates with BSc/MSc degrees and 8-10+ years of relevant biotech industry experience will also be considered
- Extensive experience in recombinant protein expression using mammalian cell culture systems
- Strong expertise and knowledge of the scientific and technological principles behind cell culture and protein expression systems, with an emphasis on antibodies
- Expertise and knowledge of molecular workflows and techniques related to antibody production is an asset
- Experience with high-throughput protein expression and purification or automation is an asset
- Familiarity with antibody purification and characterization methods would be an asset
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team
- A strong data analysis skill set and the ability to interpret, communicate, and document large data sets
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
Offers & benefits:
A generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our headquarters are nestled in the heart of Vancouver, Canada - we’ll support you and your family in every way we can to relocate if you haven't had the joy of living in this beautiful area!
At AbCellera, we’re solving tough problems and creating innovative solutions from the ground up - custom immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation. We’re revolutionizing how our scientists can explore antibodies and the scale at which they can do so. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. We’re a growing company with a high-throughput pipeline and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of visionaries and innovators. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to help us get there.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 220084 in your cover letter. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.