Research Scientist - Biophysics / Molecular Interactions
AbCellera is an energetic, and rapidly growing technology company with an amazing team that searches, decodes, and analyzes natural immune systems to find antibodies that can be developed into drugs to prevent and treat disease. Working at the interface of biology, chemistry, computation, and engineering, AbCellera is rebuilding the front-end process of drug discovery with a platform that integrates modern technologies from biotechnology, engineering, microfluidics, single-cell analysis, high-throughput genomics, machine learning, and hyper-scale data science.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Research Scientist who is looking for opportunities in a fast-paced protein science organization that is focused on identifying lead therapeutic antibody molecules for clinical development. We are seeking individuals who bring an in-depth understanding of molecular interactions and exceptional skills in biophysics, to characterize the kinetics, affinity and molecular mechanism of action of antibody based therapeutic molecules to drive lead selection for clinical development. Ideal candidates will be motivated by an opportunity to collaborate with teams from across the organization including early discovery, translational sciences, pre-clinical development, and CMC, to build a fully integrated next generation antibody drug discovery platform that can rapidly turn biological hypothesis into a therapeutic lead molecule that is ready for clinical testing.
We’re offering a generous compensation package including an equity stake in AbCellera’s success. Our facilities are nestled in the heart of beautiful Vancouver, Canada, and we will enthusiastically support you and your family to relocate to this amazing area!
How you might spend your days:
- Using biosensor based technologies such as surface plasmon resonance (SPR) or biolayer interferometry (BLI) to rapidly screen through hundreds to thousands of candidate antibodies to identify lead molecules with desired kinetic, affinity and epitope profiles
- Conducting detailed characterization of the kinetics, affinity, and mechanism of action of lead molecules, including for example, assessing pH-dependent binding, Fc effector function, and other critical properties
- Evaluating the properties of bispecific antibodies and other multispecific molecules, in support of lead selection and optimization
- Developing high throughput workflows for antibody kinetic and epitope analysis, and automating these workflows using liquid handlers
- Working with data scientists, machine learning and software engineers to streamline the capture, curation and analysis of large data sets
- Collaborating with teammates from discovery biology, protein engineering and other teams to build platforms and processes, as well as analyze, interpret and communicate data
- Providing protein science and biotherapeutic leadership within multidisciplinary drug discovery teams
- Mentoring and developing junior scientists within a rapidly growing and dynamic team
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a passion for science, technology, and innovation
- You are energized by working with teammates to develop innovative workflows that revolutionize the speed and quality of therapeutic antibody discovery and optimization
- You are self-motivated, and have the initiative to meet project goals under tight timelines
- You are an outstanding communicator and team player
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD in Biophysics, Biochemistry, or Structural Biology, with an additional 4+ years of relevant experience including at least 2 years in the biopharma or biotechnology industries. Candidates with an MSc degree and 6+ years of relevant experience will also be considered.
- A solid understanding of surface plasmon resonance (SPR) or other biosensor techniques, with application to evaluating antibody or other protein interactions is required
- Demonstrated experience using Carterra, Biacore, and Octet platforms to characterize protein binding kinetics, affinity and epitope
- Experience running plate based assays, analyzing large data sets, and interpreting and communicating data in the context of broader project objectives
- Impeccable attention to detail with excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Effective decision-making and troubleshooting skills, with impeccable attention to detail
- Great interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of cross-functional team
- Experience using analytical techniques such as UHPLC, light scattering or mass spectrometry to assess reagent quality and aid in the interpretation of binding data would be beneficial
- Experience using automated liquid handlers, or other molecular interaction technologies such as kinetic exclusion assay (KinExA), enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), or isothermal titration calorimetry (ITC) would be an advantage
At AbCellera, we find the next generation of therapeutic antibodies. To succeed, we have created innovative solutions at every step - custom antigen preparation and immunizations, microfluidics, high-throughput imaging, genomics, computation, machine learning and laboratory automation - leaving no stone unturned and revolutionizing how scientists can explore natural antibody diversity and the scale at which they can do it. You’ll join a diverse and multi-disciplinary team of biologists, biochemists, engineers, bioinformaticians, computer scientists and physicists - all working together to bring better therapies to patients. This is life-changing research and you could be a part of it.
We’re a growing company with state-of-the-art discovery tools and the drive to be the best in the industry. This isn’t just about having the best technology. We know we need a world-class team of innovators working together to solve the toughest problems. We look for people with drive and energy. Idealists. People we love and people we trust. This may be unconventional, but it is the key to our success. We’re looking for someone like you to support and organize our efforts along the way.
Please submit your application through our website and refer to Job ID 23100 in your cover letter. We apologize in advance, but we receive a large volume of applications and are only able to contact those who are selected for an interview.